Friday, April 30, 2010

Pack your bags, we're off to New Orleans!

Come along with me.... you don't need a thing.
Just sit back and I'll do the driving.

I should preface this by saying that I've never been to New Orleans.  But I've always wanted to go.


I didn't know how dirty of a city it would be.
I didn't know that Bourbon Street was lined with "Gentlemen's clubs" and hobos.
I thought that all the streets would have cute little cafes and men in seersucker suits tootin' their horns and kickin' up their feet.

I did. I really thought that.

So when we got to New Orleans, I was confused.  
There was alot of trash.
And unsavory characters.
But among the trash and unsavory characters, there was also the beauty that I was hoping to find.

It was in quiet places...



It was in architecture..









And in simple moments spent with this girl at the aquarium.


It was at Oak Alley Plantation


A place that was peaceful and beautiful, but also holds a history full of sadness.


The trees were over 300 years old


connecting past to present.


 When the tour was over,
we were offered mint juleps.

But since we had our little Southern Belle with us, we opted for ice cream


and a cruise around the Garden District on the St. Charles Streetcar


We ran right into Sandra Bullock's house.  She was moving in!
It's true.  Her mom was there helping her and the street was lined
with moving vans.

No sign of you know who... his name rhymes with Messy Mames.


Back to the hotel


to take in the scenery


and enjoy some R & R.
It was a great mini-roadtrip! 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet comment=0)

    You girls look gorgeous!!!! I've never been to New Orleans, but I had a feeling it may be very colorful. When we went to Rome, I couldn't get over all the streets and tagged walls. LOL!!!

    Glad you guys had a fun trip=0)
    xoxo,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun! What a beautiful city! Never been, but hope to some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip brought back my memories of my visit... gosh it was so long ago now.... I remember eating the best food at K Pauls... oh my gosh i still think of that meal... yummmm
    So glad you had a great trip,
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are really lovely - especially the ones of that little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! You were in my neck of the woods. I live about an hour from there and you were right on the money about New Orleans. If you want to see the beauty of the city you really have to look past so much of the ick. You can do it if you really try hard..ha! It's been years since I have been to Burbon Street and I have no plans of returning. I just cant stand the smell...I'm sure you know what I'm talking about now..ha! It's such a beautiful city and I'm so glad you enjoyed it with a open mind and heart. Now if they could only clean up their act...it would be so much nicer.
    Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been to New Orleans once and loved it. your trip looks like so much fun.
    Happy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete